Friday, June 7, 2013

Man Vs Mosquito

If I had only one wish, and it were not to wish more wishes, it would be for every mosquito, everywhere, to gather together, holding hands, and to die a terrible, miserable, suddenly horrible death. Explosion. Implosion. Mosquito herpes. Whatever is most unpleasant for them, I’d wish that, and I’d be a happy man.

I recently travelled to Haiti. It was an “experience” in the same sense that military training and medical residency are “experiences.” You can probably rationalize a way to self-betterment, and convince yourself that the whole thing was somehow “good,” but nevertheless you describe the whole experience in quotation marks and would prefer to never do it again.

But let’s not talk about that, let’s talk about mosquitos. In Haiti, there are mosquitos, and they tried to kill me.


My initial mosquito-experience in Haiti began relatively uneventful enough. There was a mosquito here, a mosquito there, but if you avoided making eye contact with them they generally let you be. I left Port au Prince thinking that, of all Haiti’s unsolvable problems, mosquitos were not one of them. Then I arrived into Les Cayes.

Les Cayes is a coastal town along the southern Peninsula of Haiti, and overall is in most ways nicer than Port au Prince. Unfortunately one of those ways is not mosquito populations. They were a bother in La Cayenne where we stayed our first few nights, and they were a menace at the Institut Brenda Strafford where I stayed my last few nights. It was in the latter part of my stay where the mosquitos and I waged war, and it was here that the mosquitos beat me.

The first day at the Canadian ENT hospital (Institut Brenda Stafford) was I thought uneventful enough, but I awoke the following morning with a number of bites over my shoulders and arms. Figuring this was as much my own fault as the fault of the bumbling misguided mosquitos I resolved to redouble my DEET repellant efforts, fortify my canopy netting at night, and maybe kill a few to make an example. The following morning, however, there were still more bites. More bites on my legs. More on my arms. More on parts of my body I didn’t even know the mosquitos had access to. It looked a bit like I had the pox, except without so much the high fevers and crippling fatigue. It was nevertheless then that I knew if I were to survive I’d have to go on the offensive. The mosquitos were clearly coming for me, it was time now I came for them.

Over the next two days I aggressively pursued a campaign of mosquito genocide. Took regular breaks from work to round them up. Paid local militias to do unspeakable things. Only God knows how many mosquitos I killed in those ugly days. Dozens? Hundreds? Millions? We can only hope. The violence reached a climax when the treacherous buggers hired a local roach to lie in wait in my duffel bag in order to assasinate me. He made it part way up my arm and almost to my jugular before I shook him off and promptly smashed him into roach paste. And then smashed him a few more times for good measure. Lacking originality and the capacity for complex thought the mosquitos tried it again the following day, but both the second roach and his conspirators were taken care of once more. And by that I mean their poor mosquito children could no longer recognize their poor mosquito daddies.

Despite these efforts the bites continued appearing. No longer on my back and shoulders so much, I’d successfully protected those with t-shirts, but continuously on my arms and legs, and most specifically on my left knee where I wore my knee brace. It seems a hot swollen knee is mosquito nirvana. They loved biting it so much they purposely flew up my pant leg, past plenty of prime calf biting territory, and up to the one spot in my brace where they could see skin. I’m still not entirely sure how they did it, or even why they did it – do mosquitos hate me? -- but it got progressively disfiguring and generally unpleasant to look at. Thankfully, ten days later, before the mosquitos had chewed my leg off, I gathered my remaining troops, pack my bags, erected a provisional puppet mosquito government, and flew home.

In the end one could probably say my battle with the mosquitos was a metaphor for Haiti’s battles with poverty and legacy of colonialism and corruption. One could probably also just say it was a pointless, needless waste of time, energy, and, in no small amount, blood and plasma which, in a sense, is a also metaphor for Haiti. Regardless, the end. Goodbye Haiti, enjoy your mosquitos. Goodbye mosquitos, may you forever burn in mosquito hell.


 


You know it's a problem when the bites become confluent.

 

No comments: